Gunshot City (originally known as Crimelife 4) is an open world/action game developed entirely by one person. Programming and almost all of it's graphics and character animations are all handmade.
The game is developed with Unity3D engine, it's made with the performance on mobile devices first but it's also planned for pc.
It's a big project and it takes time but with your help it can turn out to something really great.
This blog is made to see it's development progress through time. Feel free to comment in the posts bellow with your suggestions and ideas.

September 29, 2015

Designing the characters



Some of the decision you must take before you model the characters for your game is if you will make it a realistic or more cartoon like. Something that will fit in to the game's art style.
For the 3d models I use a program called AC3D. It's perfect for low poly models and very fast too.

To make a virtual world beautiful it doesn't have to be realistic to achieve that.
Crimelife 4 is focused on a lowpoly world with more cartoon looking characters. Low poly models can look really great if you use the right textures. And I use high quality nice and clean textures to achieve that.


Most of the textures used in the game are hand made and designed based on sketches I did on paper and from other references. I use Gimp for the textures. Now you will ask why I don't use a more professional program like Photoshop. It's simple, time is important to me. If I want to fix a texture and in Photoshop it will take me around 10 minutes and with Gimp only 5, I will prefer Gimp.


Next step to bring the characters to life is to animate them. I use Milkshape for this. A freeware program that lets you rig and animate your characters the easy way. A few years back I was using Blender but it was very time consuming. I know that Blender has changed over the years and it may be more easy to use today but I still prefer Milkshape. It does exactly what I need.
I setup my character's bones on Milkshape, I do the animation and then I export it to Unity in fbx format. There are tons of animations in game and I'm still adding more when needed.

I hope you liked this article. Feel free to share this if you find it useful.
Also the comments are open for everyone so feel free to share your thoughts.




15 comments :

  1. Dude, it's pre-alpha. He will improve them. But as they are, they look fine to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is article looks so cool! I Really liked it and learnt somethings that improved me :D, Keep it up Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you show me the vehicles please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Final models will be shown in future screenshots.
      Cars shown in the screenshots are not final. They are used for testing.

      Delete
  4. I love you games because your lowpoly models and their toon textures is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Development of the game is awesome but make sure you don't make the world excessively detailed because the Unity engine can't handle too much detailed environment so make sure you use low-poly textures as low as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want some help I can help you pretty though I don't know much of C++ :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not to mention that GIMP can give Photoshop a run for its money.

    ReplyDelete